Monday, December 17, 2007

Childhood Memories...




And finally, I've finished the last of the three skirt and top sets. So now I can get wrapping and put them under the tree.

I've been teaching myself to crochet recently (I have lovely childhood memories, sitting with my dear Nana as she PATIENTLY taught me how to crochet....the first project I can remember making is a doll's carrier with a blanket for the little doll. We used the base of a plastic cordial bottle, then crocheted a drawstring style bag that the plastic base sat in and you could turn the top of the bag down at the sides so you could access the inside. And inside was a tiny little mattress, a tiny little doll and a tiny little blanket.....crocheted by me!!! And once you'd finished playing with it, you rolled the sides of the bag back up, pulled on the drawstring, slung it over your wrist and off you went to play, with your little doll close by. I wish I had a photo to show you, but unfortunately as a teenager, I didn't think I would ever play with something like that again so I must have got rid of it. It makes me angry to think that I would have got rid of something so precious. Chloe would have loved to have had a chance to play with it and admire it.) But thankfully, I do still have lots of my nana's other knitting and crochet work.

So with my very faint crochet skills, I have recently been re-teaching myself to crochet. I made a VERY SIMPLE garland for the Christmas Tree. It's just a chain with little dangly bits all the way along (I'm sure there's some very technical name for the 'chain' and the 'dangly bits'). I like the way it's turned out, in all it's simplicity and uneven crochet stitches.

No comments: